Welcome to CobberLinux
Welcome to CobberLinux.
Please take time to read this post plus the links (internal and external) provided to gain a better understanding of the purpose of CobberLinux.
What is CobberLinux (Cobber for short)?
How much does Cobber cost?
Nothing, it is/will be free and will always remain free if you download it. I intend to provide DVD and/or USB media with Cobber on it and because I am (currently) the only person here I will need to charge for media and postage.
How is Cobber uniquely Australasian?
The intent of Cobber is to provide a Linux system that suits Australian, New Zealand, and Papua New Guinean users without containing unnecessary bloat (e.g. translations that are not required or academically correct for the country/culture such as American English). While this will take time it is hoped that each country/culture group can develop translations that suits the national and cultural languages of the peoples using Cobber. The intention is to produce a LiveDVD and LiveUSB installer with the appropriate localisation settings (e.g. timezone, area, keyboard, languages) already in place allowing users a quick and easy installation.
Cobber is the first Linux distro, feel free to provide proof that I am incorrect if you can, that encourages work translating upstream (see point 2 below). Doing this helps all Linux users not just end users of Cobber. While our aim is to produce a uniquely Australasian Linux we also believe in giving other Linux users the choice to use Australasian translations in their preferred distro.
How can I/you help Cobber achieve its goals?
- You can help Cobber achieve its goals by joining the Cobber Community.
- You could also join other Linux communities such as Gnome, KDE, MATE, XFCE, and LXDE and help translate these environments into your language. By joining these communities you not only help Cobber but you will help Linux in general. For Australian English translation/localisation I am using the Oxford English Dictionary and the Australian National Dictionary.
- If translation isn’t something you feel you can help with there are also visual aspects of Cobber such as artwork, backgrounds and screen savers that are open for enthusiastic people to share their artistic talents with others.
- Like any operating system Cobber is always going to encourage people with programming skills to help.
- You could test development versions of Cobber and help to iron out any bugs that limit its usability.
- Take part in any polls listed so we can develop a system that suits the majorities purpose.
What versions of Cobber will be available?
For the Australian edition there will be 1 major version and various testing versions. It is expected that each countries edition users will name its versions. The Cobber (Australian edition) dists are:
Experimental=Experimental (Experimental is not for general use).
This isn’t set in stone, if anyone can give suggestions they will be considered through a community forum.